Introducing the JHM R Series Clutch Kit for the B8-S5 4.2L FSI V8!!!
Since 2010, we have been working on developing a proprietary performance clutch kit for the B6-B7 S4 and RS4. After years of research, prototyping, and in-car abuse we were able to release the JHM R Series Clutch Kits for the B6-B7 S4 and RS4 with excellent results. After the huge success of these clutch kits on our instant torque producing V8s, we decided that we had to get this clutch kit on the B8-S5 4.2L FSI V8.
WHY THE JHM R-SERIES CLUTCH KIT?
Our years of research and development of this clutch kit have led to the creation of our JHM R Series Pressure Plate. This pressure plate is a non-SAC (self-adjusting clutch) style pressure plate. This allows to run a set of more aggressive discs to hold more power and withstand even more abuse. For example, the shock that our proprietary ceramic 6-puck disc would put on the OEM pressure plate would destroy the SAC.
The diaphragm on our R Series Pressure plate is a custom design that we worked for years on to get just right. We designed it specifically for these cars and their throw-out bearings. We did not simply take another pressure plate that works in another brand car and try to make a "band-aid" solution with spacers or other shortcuts to make the pressure plate work for an Audi.
JHM R Series Clutch Kit (Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate): Our R Series Clutch Kits feature your choice of 3 different clutch disc materials: Stage 1 R is a performance organic disc and Stage 5 R is a 6-puck disc featuring our proprietary ceramic material. You can chose your clutch disc material from the drop down menu below. We recommend our Stage 1 R Performance Organic Clutch Disc to those looking to get the best compromise between daily driveability and torque holding capacity. Our Stage 3 R disc offers the ultimate combination of daily driveability, torque holding capacity, and durability for back to back to back pulls. Our Stage 5 R Clutch Disc is the ULTIMATE clutch disc for your B8 S5. The Stage 5 R is a 6-puck clutch disc featuring our proprietary performance ceramic material making it the most aggressive clutch solution that we offer to date. This is clutch disc that we are currently running in our in-house B8-S5. Anyone planning on doing more than the occasional track day should consider the 5R.
- 43% increase in clamp load torque holding capacity over the already stout JHM Performance SAC Pressure Plate.
- The stiffness of the clutch pedal is increased by about 25%.
- Better clutch pedal control and modulation is achieved through our spring design.
- The spring pressure is much more linear than the B8 S5 pressure plate making the clutch pedal behavior more predictable in the uptake of the pedal and engagement point of the clutch disc.
- Thicker pressure plate straps increase the longevity and durability of the Pressure Plate.
- The JHM R Series Pressure Plate has been designed to work with our JHM Lightweight Flywheel so any S5 customer with our current clutch and flywheel kit will be able to upgrade to the R Series by just purchasing this product. NOTE: This is the clutch kit ONLY, the clutch disc and pressure plate - not the entire Flywheel and Clutch Combo. If you are interested in purchasing our Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch Combo, go back one section to add it to your cart.
- 1x JHM R-Series Pressure Plate
- 1x Clutch Disc - Stage 1R (Performance Organic), Stage 3R (Ceramic-Metal Backed Organic Hybrid), or Stage 5R (Proprietary Ceramic). Select your Disc Material from the dropdown below
- 6x Pressure Plate to Flywheel Bolts
- 1x OEM B8 S4-S5 Throwout Bearing
- 1x OEM B8 S4-S5 Guide Sleeve
FITMENT: All B8-S5 4.2L FSI V8 with 6-Speed Manual Transmissions
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND TORQUE NOTES: These are NOTES ONLY are not a substitute for factory installation manuals or technical expertise. They are to be used a supplemental guideline only. We always recommend that an experienced technician perform ALL clutch and flywheel installations. For shops or individuals who have access to factory manuals but not factory tools, here are some tips and guidelines we have used to complete this job without the factory tools:
- The JHM Lightweight Flywheel installs in the same manner as the OEM Flywheel. Follow the OEM installation and torque procedures.
- Aligning the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel assembly: Install the throwout bearing/sleeve onto the transmission. For alignment of the clutch disc it is easiest to put the flywheel face-up, place and align the disc splines on center with the center bearing in the flywheel, put the pressure plate on top, visually check that the disc is still on center, and begin to tighten and torque the pressure plate. The pressure plate bolts need to be secured with red, high-strength Loctite. Make sure the pressure plate bolts are tightened in a star pattern at multiple torque intervals. This is to make sure that the pressure plate diaphragm or fingers are not distorted upon installation. Once the pressure plate is fully torqued to the flywheel with red Loctite to factory specifications (18 ft-lbs, in intervals), the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel combination can now be slid onto the transmission as you would a torque converter on an Automatic Transmission. If the assembly will not slip on the transmission, this is most likely due to the fact that the disc is not on center. Remove the pressure plate and attempt to re-align the disc. **NOTE: We've successfully aligned the assembly by following the above procedure. It is not that difficult to "eyeball" the alignment.
- Once the clutch and flywheel combo are installed in the transmission, the half-shaft can be re-installed (this prevents the clutch and flywheel from falling out of the transmission while attempting re-installation). Install and bolt the transmission to the engine. Install the JHM supplied bolts for attaching the flywheel to the flexplate. Torque the flyweel to flexplate bolts to factory specifications. This is done in a similar fashion to torquing down a torque converter to a flexplate on an Automatic Transmission.
BREAK IN PROCEDURE: Clutch break-in is important and must be done properly.
Clutch break in is important and must be done properly. All R Series Clutch Discs have a break in period of 500 miles. This means that you need to drive as much city type driving as you can for the first 500 miles after the disc is installed. Each time you start from a stop or shift, it aids in break in of the clutch material. Highway mileage does not count. You MUST avoid any racing activities, launching, or aggressive driving that gets the clutch hot during this period.